SIM2 irons from TaylorMade have a cavity filled with a lightweight hi-strength polymer to support the topline and stiffen the upper face. Combined with a sole slot, the portion of the face unsupported is larger for a bigger sweet spot and more ball speed.
- SIM2 Max & SIM2 Max OS Irons
- Polymer filled 360° undercut cavity
- Bar connecting cavity top and bottom
- Sole Slot behind face
- Heel to toe vibration dampening
- Variable thickness ultra-thin steel face
- Neutral ball flight tendency
- Stock shafts: KBS Max MT 85, Fujikura’s Ventus Blue
- Stock grip: Lamkin Crossline 360
- At retail February 19
- 7-piece set: $800 steel shafts, $900 graphite
- Game-improvement category
- Mid to high launch
- Medium offset
- 5-iron 21.5°, pitching wedge 43.5°
- Fluted hosel
SIM2 Max OS Irons
- Super game-improvement category
- Oversize face, wide sole
- High offset
- High launch
- 5-iron 20°, pitching wedge 42°
TaylorMade in the two SIM2 Max models reveals their latest thinking of how to improve iron performance for average golfers. The cavity back contains a hi-strength polymer that acts as a support for the entire length of the iron’s topline and makes the upper portion of the face more rigid. This so-called “Cap Back Design” uses the connecting bar Speed Bridge and, with the familiar Thru-Slot Speed Pocket sole slot, leaves more of the face unsupported and therefore more flexible; a roundabout way to say it can produce more distance.
An additional benefit of the polymer-filled cavity is the shifting of weight more to the outside perimeter giving the SIM2s better resistance to twisting which promotes more user confidence because mishits are not as bad.
The SIM2 Max is targeted for play by mid to high handicaps and are a logical choice to combine with the SIM2 hybrids also just announced. Both the Max and Max OS have numerous custom options available.
“We set out to take game improvement irons to the next level with SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max OS,” said Matt Bovee, Product Creation, Irons. “To create Cap Back Design, we utilized multi-material advancements learned from our metalwoods to unlock forgiveness and distance with forged iron like feel. We leveraged a completely new construction to achieve the performance that golfers in this category both need and want.”