Recently I had the opportunity to experience the Sheraton Bay Point Resort’s new digs, after a $30 million renovation was completed in 2017. Years ago, I had a corporate outing here in the month of November. Leaving frigid Cincinnati and arriving in the Panhandle of Florida was a treat, but then staying and playing at Bay Point was the ‘icing on the cake’. It was great to return and see the magnificent Resort in all its new splendor.
Situated on historic St. Andrews Bay, Sheraton Bay Point Resort is the perfect getaway in Northwest Florida and the only branded AAA Four Diamond Resort on the entire Emerald Coast of Florida, with picturesque views of the coastal waters, abundant marine life and a plentitude of on-site activities.
Located off the beaten path in a residential area near Panama City Beach, Sheraton Bay Point Resort sits on a sprawling 1,100 acre wildlife sanctuary with numerous lodging selections and Marriott Legends Edge timeshare facility. The minute you walk through the Resort’s front entrance, you know you’re in a special place, with floor to ceiling windows allowing for amazing views of the bay. The clean modern look of the lobby is incorporated throughout the main hotel building, and the soft cool color palette in the hallways and rooms seem to slow the pace of life as you enjoy your stay. The Resort boasts 320 beautifully appointed rooms, 65 of which are one bedroom suites. There are villas with an elevator to assist getting your bags to the upper floors adjacent to one of the golf courses.
Dining options are situated throughout the Resort:
- The Cabana Cafe, brewing handcrafted Starbucks favorites, serves scrumptious pastries and breads made in house. For a ‘grab and go’ lunch, you can choose from house made sandwiches, salads and soups.
- Located poolside along with more astonishing views of the bay, Flip-Flops Pool Bar is an open air spot providing beverages for the young and old along with casual fare with a flare.
- Pelican’s Bar & Grill is a favorite gathering spot connected to the mainland by a long scenic boardwalk. Another open air bar with tin roof and sprawling deck where I enjoyed a great lunch with friends while watching the numerous watercraft come by. A great place to enjoy a frosty margarita or a cool one along with stunning sunsets.
- Bar 72 Pub & Eatery located at the Bay Point Golf Club serves delectable and hearty breakfast and lunch selections with great service, before or after your round of golf.
- Tides Restaurant, another room with a view matched only by the luscious creations of Executive Chef Shane Miller and his culinary team, is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had the opportunity to enjoy two nights of extraordinary dining options and samplings of the hors d’oeuvres. There is entertainment on certain nights to complete your dining experience.
In addition there is in-room dining available to guests in the morning and evenings.
Sheraton Bay Point Resort’s amenities include bicycling with complimentary YOLO Bicycles. tennis at the five lighted HydroGrid clay courts, a full menu of spa and salon services at the Serenity Spa, swimming at the resort’s 3 pools or at the private bay beach near Pelican’s with bar service and complimentary beach chairs. Water sport activities include paddleboards, pontoon boats and wave runners available for rent at the end of the boardwalk. You can make arrangements for a dolphin tour or a special trip to uninhabited Shell Island on the Bay Point Lady.
If you are a golfer and are visiting the Emerald Coast, there are 36 holes of exceptional golf on two championship layouts right here at Bay Point Golf Club. It is the place to play when coming to Panama City. Managed by Kemper Sports, you are sure to enjoy the unique layouts. The William Byrd designed Meadows Course is a classic “Old Florida” 6900 yard layout that weaves its way through mature stands of oaks and pines with numerous strategically placed bunkers and just a spot of water or two. Bay Point has the only Jack Nicklaus designed golf course on the entire Emerald Course, and the 7000 yard risk/reward layout is set against the backdrop of St. Andrews Bay with marshlands and scenic wetlands throughout. The par 4, 5th is their signature hole offering a spectacular tee shot to an island fairway in the Grand Lagoon, with a second shot to an island green overlooking St. Andrews Bay.
Golf General Manager Ryan Mulvey and his outstanding staff can customize a delightful golf event with specialty competitions and/or personalize your golf experience with the area’s best resort services. For a new on course experience, Golfboards are available in place of the typical golf cart. Personal instruction and lessons are available from the PGA Professionals and the on-site DewSweepers Performance Academy. For more information and golf tee times visit BayPointGolf.com.
Panama City Beach has pure sugar white sand beaches and the beautiful turquoise water of the Gulf of Mexico. To enjoy the best of the best, Sheraton Bay Point Resort is the place to stay and enjoy a family vacation, golf outing, romantic weekend or company retreat. For reservations visit SheratonBayPoint.com.