The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
The state of Alabama is home to the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, a world-renowned collection of golf courses and resorts. The Trail features 11 different courses and 468 championship-caliber holes designed by legendary golf course architect Robert Trent Jones.
In the late 1980s, Dr. David Bronner, CEO of the Retirement Systems of Alabama, envisioned creating a world-class golf destination that would diversify the assets of the state’s pension fund and help boost tourism and economic growth in Alabama.
Borrowing from a Field of Dreams, Bronner decided to “build it, and they will come.” Not a baseball diamond in an Iowa cornfield but a collection of public golf courses in Alabama like no other.
All of these courses are natural and extracted from the land, not imposed on it. The “Trail” offers authentic championship layouts that have stood the test of time and will pose a serious challenge to golfers for years to come. No one talks about or remembers easy courses or holes, but the brilliant shot that conquers one of the toughest holes stays in a golfer’s mind forever. The Trail is full of golf holes that will become permanently etched in your memory. You may remember some of them for the wrong reason, and you can only think about returning for a do-over.
In a truly unique way, the Trail’s tee boxes are based on skill level, not gender or age. The course measures 4,700 to 7,700 yards from the tournament tees, offering various options for golfers of all skills.
Sunbelt Golf Corporation manages the RTJ Golf Trail. The philosophy from the beginning was to build the world’s finest collection of public golf courses and run them as a successful business investment. A dream come true for Alabama golfers and for golfers around the world, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is the only golfing experience of its kind in the world.
RTJ Golf Trail Courses/Locations
- Cambrian Ridge (27 holes) – Greenville
- Capitol Hill (54 holes) – Prattville
- Grand National (54 holes) – Opelika
- Hampton Cove (54 Holes) – Huntsville
- Highland Oaks (36 holes) – Dothan
- Lakewood Golf Club (36 holes) – Point Clear
- Magnolia Grove (54 holes) – Mobile
- Oxmoor Valley (45 holes) – Birmingham
- Ross Bridge (18 holes) – Birmingham
- Silver Lakes (36 holes) – Gadsden/Anniston
- The Shoals (36 holes) – Muscle Shoals
In addition to its world-class courses, the Trail offers a variety of amenities and services for golfers. Each course has its own clubhouse, complete with dining facilities and pro shops stocked with the latest golf equipment and apparel. The Trail also offers a variety of golf packages and special events, including golf schools and tournaments.
Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail – Resorts
The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama is known for its world-class golf courses, but it’s also home to luxurious resorts that offer a complete vacation experience for golfers and non-golfers alike.
- Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa – Montgomery
- Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa – Birmingham
- Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel – Mobile
- The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel & Spa – Mobile
- The Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa – Point Clear
- Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel & Conference Center – Prattville
- Auburn Marriott Opelika Resort & Spa at Grand National – Opelika
- The Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa – Florence
With their world-class accommodations, dining, and amenities, these resorts complement the Trail’s stunning golf courses, making for an unforgettable vacation experience.
The Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is a must-visit destination for any golfer seeking a challenging and rewarding experience. According to the New York Times, with its world-class courses, stunning natural scenery, and warm southern hospitality, “the Trail offers some of the best public golf on earth.”
It’s more than just a collection of great golf courses – rather a true destination for anyone who loves the game. So if you want a challenging round of golf with some of the best views in the south, we will see you on the tee box.
For more information, please visit rtjgolf.com.